Despite the fact that the film "Captain Marvel" is associated with a huge scandal, its first results at the box office are very impressive. It seems that the film seeks to become higher, stronger and further in all senses, including in all cinemas around the world.
After all, the film about superheroes with Bree Larson in the title role for the first week raised around 500 million dollars in world box office for the first week!
It seems, and in the second he will also easily dominate the rest of the film projects in cinemas around the world. Captain Marvel’s written and directed film by Anna Boden can earn another $ 100 million if she doesn’t lower her position on the background of superhero films like Black Panther or Avengers: Infinity War. As of March 13, 2019, the movie has raised more than $ 524 million worldwide, including about $ 100 million in China.
The first female superhero
Recall that "Captain Marvel" is the first superhero movie based on comics from Marvel Studios, where the main character is a woman. Over the first weekend in North America, it raised about $ 153 million, which was by far the biggest debut this year. Captain Marvel also provided the best start in the world for a movie starring a woman and the sixth largest global launch of film projects in history ($ 455 million) when it was released in all markets (excluding Japan). In the total set of film projects that make up the Marvel cinematic universe - 21, together they total about 18 billion dollars in fees worldwide.
The scandal surrounding the movie Captain Marvel was triggered by Bree Larson saying that she wants to see more black women among white critics among critics. This statement caused a negative reaction among Internet users: the expectation rating of the film dropped significantly to 28% on the Rotten Tomatoes website (then it was raised). The rating of the film itself is estimated at 7.1 on the IMDb website.
While most studios have avoided releasing any films following Captain Marvel, there are a few contenders bold enough to beat Carol Danvers this weekend.
- Paramount Pictures - "Wonder Park";
- CBS Films and Lionsgate - "Five Feet Apart", "Focus Features" and "Captive State".
They are suitable for that rare moviegoer who is looking for something other than superheroes (or, perhaps, who already managed to watch the movie "Captain Marvel" last weekend).
- June Wonderland Park, an animated short story based on how the little girl’s imaginary friends begin to come to life, is expected to have a better start among newcomers. It is expected that he will raise $ 8-14 million over the weekend. The studio is betting on Wonderland Park and that it will become widely known among viewers to help justify its large budget of more than $ 80 million. The main characters are voiced by Jennifer Garner, Matthew Broderick, John Oliver and Mila Kunis.
- In addition to the family target audience, Justin Baldoni’s Five Feet Apart is aimed at female moviegoers and is expected to earn between $ 6 and $ 10 million when it comes out. This is a modest start, given that its production costs only $ 7 million. Actress "Edge of Seventeen" and "Split" Haley Lou Richardson starred with Cole Spraus in a romantic drama about two teenagers who meet and fall in love while both are terminally ill.
- Closing the rental is Captive State, a fantastic thriller that should bring in just $ 3 million. Rupert Wyatt, director of the movie Rise of the Planet of the Apes. The plot will tell about the Chicago area, in which almost 10 years have passed after the settlement by alien forces. Drama stars: John Goodman, Ashton Sanders and rapper Machine Gun Kelly.